Saturday, April 7, 2007

Easter

Eric got home today from his 1-week mission in Vancouver. It's nice to have him back. When the van arrived at the Church, we had a brief testimony meeting for the families, so the boys could share their testimonies and tell a little bit about their experiences.

It was touching to hear these 16-18 year old boys talking about the power of prayer, the strength they gained through reading the scriptures every morning, and feeling the spirit witness to them that what they were doing was true.

We got home (Eric and I--Shannon stayed at home because she was diagnosed this week with walking pneumonia) and Eric immediately went up and showered. Apparently, the shower that he had access to all week was only about four and a half feet high, so he had to practically shower on his knees. After that he came downstairs and shared a couple of stories with us.

As we listened, I was taken back to an Easter morning about 6 years ago. There was a Church-produced video called "The Lamb of God" which depicts Christ's final days, the crucifixion, and His resurrection. I wanted our family to watch it to put Easter into its proper perspective.

We started the video and as it got to the crucifixion, Eric got up and headed to his room. I asked him to come sit down and watch with us. He could spend 20 minutes with his parents on Easter Sunday and watch a video about the Savior. He sat back down and we returned our attention to the video.

The scene on the TV turned to putting Christ on the cross. The centurions were driving the nails through his hand and feet. The sounds were ominous and disturbing. Eric got up from his chair again. I blew up and ordered him to stay and watch the video with us. I looked at his face and there were tears in his eyes.

"Why are they doing that?" he sobbed. "Why are they killing him? Please can I go to my room?"

There have only been a few times in my life when I've felt small and insignificant...none moreso than at that moment. In my attempt to do what I thought was right, I overlooked the sweet spirit that is my son Eric. I was literally forcing him to watch the execution of someone he knew and loved. We turned the video off. I took him in my arms, apologized, and asked him to forgive me.

Eric has always been close to the Lord. His testimony of Jesus Christ is sweet and pure and simple. He knows that Jesus lives. He knows that Jesus loves all of us and through his sacrifice, we can return to our Heavenly Father. That testimony is evident in Eric's demeanor. He has always placed a premium on kindness.

Every Easter since then I remember the events of that morning. When Eric was gone this week, my worry and concern were tempered by the knowledge that he was doing what the Lord wanted him to do.

No comments: