How has God blessed me today?
Today was a hard day. Shannon is in Baton Rouge on a business trip. Marlee and I took Eric to the airport this morning to fly back to Utah for school. It's likely that he won't be back in Tri-Cities until June. Winter semester will end in late April. Then he's staying for Spring Term from late April thru mid-June. He's taking summer term (July-August) off from classes but will probably still work on his job teaching at the Missionary Training Center. So, it'll be 6 months before we see him again.
Every time I put that kid on a airplane to fly away, it makes me cry. As I stood there watching him go through the security screening, I felt the tears welling up. Marlee kept asking if we could go, but I didn't want to. When Eric finally gave me the customary wave signifying that he had made it through, I told Marlee we could go. It was all I could do to walk to the car with crying.
That's the way it's always been. When we dropped him off at BYU his freshman year, at the airport for both Thanksgiving and Christmas that year, when we dropped him off at the MTC for his mission, then again at BYU this past August, and again today. I know he needs to go. I know he can't stay home forever. The kid is 22 years old. But watching him walk away literally kills a little part of me.
Before we left for the airport, Eric asked me to give him a father's blessing. He asks me almost every time he leaves for an extended period of time. I appreciate a son whose faith is so strong. That's how God blessed me today.
I know he is fine back in Provo. I know he's where he needs to be. I know that our family can be together forever if we live our lives in such a way to be worthy to do so.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment