Today I was released from my calling as 1st Counselor in the Young Mens Presidency. It was the first time I've ever (in 30 years in the Church) asked to be released. Over the past few months I've just felt like working with the young men hasn't been what I need to do. It became very routine and, frankly, not very much fun. I don't seem to relate to the 14-year-old boys very well, and we have some very challenging young men. Very rude and disrespectful. Not very cooperative. No fatherly support. It got to the point where I was working with kids 5 days a week and then having to do it on Sundays and Wednesday nights. So, after serving with 9 Young Men Presidents (Rich Elms, Dave Volmer, Rick Ewell, Jason Medina, Craig Nelson and Trevor Anderson in the stake, Ryan Slaugh, Anthony Muai, and Tory Christensen) for approximately half of my time in the Church, I decided it was time to ask to be released.
After I was released, each member of the bishopric pulled me aside to give me a heartfelt thanks for my service to the young men. At least I hope it was heartfelt. It's just weird asking to be released. It's quitting. I just don't do that very often. I can't help but think that the bishop's counselors were under instruction to sincerely thank me because the bishop might be afraid that my testimony is struggling.
MY TESTIMONY IS NOT STRUGGLING! In fact, I feel closer to the Lord than I have in a long time.
I was impressed today that Bro Jamin Trevino (who was called to replace me) stood up in testimony meeting and bore testimony that he knows that the Lord wants him to work with the young men know. He knows that's true. Perhaps my asking to be released was inspired.
How had God blessed me today?
He has shown me again that we are all connected and that things happen for a reason.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment